November 18, 2010

Goodbye Grasshopper!



We took the grasshopper chair to the upholsterer last weekend.  




I was a little sad to see him go.  There's so much life and history behind that chair, it's almost as if he's a person.  Okay, maybe not a person, but definitely like a pet.  Maybe because it's called grasshopper, and  when I was younger I always tried to keep grasshoppers as pets.

Anyway, in a few short weeks he'll be back as good as new, well-groomed and sporting this awesome new fabric:

Maharam Steelcut Trio #533
Stay tuned!

And if you're interested, find info about the chair, and the original look we are going for, at the Knoll Museum website.

4 comments:

  1. are you doing it yourself? I hope so!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh heavens no! Eero Saarinen would be deeply insulted if someone of my skill level tried to reupholster one of his pieces! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not a pet so much as a part of the family history. I can remember when my feet barely hung off the edge. :) There is a big empty spot in the Living Room.

    @Tiffany: We discussed doing the project ourselves, and decided that this is one of those pieces that you let the professionals handle.

    Can't wait for the update photos!!!!

    ReplyDelete