March 8, 2010

What to do with the blank walls over the sofa

For months the wall over our sofa has been blank.  I can't decide exactly what to do.  Or maybe the problem is that I know what I want to do, but I don't dare commit.  I want to do a collage of frames, which involves a lot of planning and a lot of nail holes (plus a lot of spackle to fill in all the "oopsy" nail holes).  I recently saw this photo and have decided whoever did this was a genius.  I think it will be the only way to figure out a layout that works (hopefully the first time).


Here are some of the many photos I've found for inspiration:


from Elizabeth Bauer Design


from photographer Stuart McIntyre

 




I'm sorry I don't have credits for all the photos.  Many of these I started saving long before I thought I'd be posting them on a blog. 

If anyone else have photos or ideas of this application, please feel free to share with me! 

4 comments:

  1. The top picture is the absolute best way to see what your eye likes before you put any holes in! Plus it's my favorite grouping:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the throw pillows in the 2nd picture. =)
    Maybe this tool will help. http://www.utrdecorating.com/about_hang_and_level.php

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool trick Amber! I've actually got a nifty tool that I found at Home Depot a few years back, but haven't seen it available anywhere since. Janet - that arrangement is my favorite too. I expect the final product will be very similar, though modified to fit the frames I already own.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This really works Nicole. We did something like this in our basement. Not sure if you remember what it looks like, but it was basically a long wall that I had no clue what to do with. Some kids paper & painters tape, gave us our "family" wall. Doing a grouping of frames really does break up the space. Now I just don't know what to do on the other half of the wall!

    ReplyDelete