April 20, 2012

My "Grown-Up" Living Room Rug

Our Previous Rug:


We had our old living room rug for almost 3 years, and though I love the FLOR product, there are a few things that weren't working for us:

1.  Most noticeably, solid & light colors do not work at all when they are in the traffic path of the dog door.  The white is now more of a light brown color.  And the yellow just looks bad.

2.  The size was actually a bit small, and made the seating area feel small, despite the pretty big room size.  Yes, I could have ordered more tiles, but considering the abuse the existing tiles were getting from the dogs, I didn't want to spend the money on more carpet for them to destroy.

3.  Though the colors were fun, they were a bit trendy.  I still love yellow and gray, but I feel that love already starting to fade.  And we had all these geometric pops of solid colors, but nothing really bringing them all together.

Well, yesterday I had an ASID meeting at Regency Royale, and Kathy Emery took some time afterwards to show me some rugs they're getting ready for a big clearance sale.  She specifically pointed out this one (knowing my size and general color requirements).  While it's not my typical style of bold/defined geometrics (see pillows), I fell in love.   After bringing some finish swatches in to the showroom to make sure it worked, I bought it and they delivered it today.


It fits the room so much better, plus it gives it a warm and grown-up feel that I just wasn't getting before.  
 
It's more classic than trendy, so I'm hoping I love it for years to come.  And since it's good quality wool, I expect that we'll still have it for years, despite the dogs.  


P.S.  Do you see the little preview of our TV wall?  That "little" project was my birthday gift from my husband, but we're not quite finished (i.e. floating shelf is crooked and needs to be fixed) so I'll have to wait a bit longer to show it to you all.  
Posted by Picasa

6 comments:

  1. I love it! It's amazing the difference it made. Proof that small changes can have huge impact!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Aimee - I honestly didn't realize it would make that big a difference, but it did! Now on to that ceiling fan...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice way to handle what you were tiring of. The rug pattern to me serves a way to say "All Directional," I really like it. Beyond the rug, what a nicely appointed room. Let us know how you handle the crooked floating shelf.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the comment John! As for the shelf, our attempt at using the hafele shelf sports failed, so now we're just going to build a cleat, screw that to the studs, slide the shelf on, and hope we've done everything straight and level. Fingers crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE IT!!! Looks so great! And the new TV set up looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So much better than I thought it would be. I love it!

    ReplyDelete